Thursday, 29 August 2013

Pasticceria Papa, Haberfield - Sydney [21st Birthday Lunch #2/2]

Best birthday cake?
papa-ricotta-cheese-cake2
Baked ricotta cheesecake from Pasticceria Papa (L)

I don't know about you, but let me show you one of my favourite. Oh, it's just the best birthday cake I've ever had so far.

So we finished our pizza lunch at Napoli in Bocca, we had some cakes for the birthday girl (a.k.a. me), but some cousins insisted to have the best ricotta cheesecake in Sydney. And so we joined the queue.

Pasticceria Papa seems calm from the front view. But just wait for a few minutes, you'll see a snaking line of people trying to enter the cute yet elegant shop.

papa-pasticceria
Pasticceria Papa, Haberfield

I was really surprised when I went past the entry door; I though the place was so small so those lines of people have to wait outside for putting their order. Oh boy, I was wrong. The place is actually quite spacious, with a full side dedicated for glass-topped counter where the pastries and cakes and bread are showed off, and there are some wooden tables and chairs for people having their treats on the spot. A perfect place for an afternoon tea, I say.

papa-interior
Interior

Here's where you'll press your face on; the display cabinet. The have it all; cakes, pastries, biscuits, cannoli, muffins, bread, and some other seductive things.

papa-counter
Ordering counter

papa-display
Goodies display

papa-cannoli
Cannolis

papa-muffin
Muffins

Right beside the cashier they have some gelato selections, and apparently they offer coffee as well. The order will be taken by one of the friendly ladies behind the counter, then make your way to the cashier.

papa-gelato
Gelato

I don't even know where to begin in describing their baked ricotta cheesecake. A bit of disclaimer here, cheesecake isn't a friend of mine. Almost all of the cheesecakes I've tried are to cheesy, milky, and leaves some kind of weird lingering feeling on the back of my mouth. Lets just say, one of my least favourite kind of cake is cheesecake.

But not this one. Oh no, definitely not this one.

It smells fantastic, looking simple with those icing sugar dust on top, but it has this 'taste me and you'll be on your knees' vibe.

papa-ricotta-cheese-cake1
Baked ricotta cheesecake - (L) $39 (?)

One bite and I am a convert.

It's not your usual cheesecake. It has unbreakable crusty layer enveloping the filling; botttom, top and on the side. It is crumbly, only has a slight hint of sweetness. The filling is a bit runny, but smooth like a baby's cheek. It is rich and creamy, but not too cheesy. Only the subtlest hint of tang peeking around the corner, but mostly the sugar comes through.

In a nutshell, dang it, it was so good. I bet it'll be better after a few hours, or maybe overnight, in the fridge. I would super love to have the whole cake in my fridge and have a slice everyday. I would be waking up so excited everyday, I reckon.

If this enchanted cake can have such effect on an anti-cheesecake like me, I can only imagine what it'll do for a cheesecake lover.

papa-cheese-cake
Innards

But of course we didn't stop at that, our family doesn't do feast half-hearted, you know.

We have some gorgeous black forest cake too, whose flavour is good but the sponge cake is a bit on the dry side for me.

black-forest
Black forest cake

Two little cuties from Dolcettini joined the festivity, but unfortunately I am not sure about the actual names of them. I'll just guess.

The first one was chocolate caramel souffle tart. It consists of an amazing pastry, rich and decadent caramel layer (and a thick one too), and topped with some kind of souffle-textured layer which is fluffy and chocolatey. It sounds like a complicated one, but it is so remarkable it may simplify all your problems temporarily.

dolcettini-pie
Dolcettini's chocolate caramel souffle tart (?)

dolcettini-souffle-pie2
Innards

The second one is raspberry custard tart. This one offers a fresher and more acidic flavour, and it is faultless. The pastry, be it the tart shell or the flaky one on the top, is impeccable.

dolcettini-raspberry
Dolcettini's raspberry custard tart (?)

I don't know how many calories entered my body that day, and I don't even care. That was one hell of a feast.

The cakes are all very admirable, but the baked ricotta cheesecake has me daydreaming about it until now. That is a definite must-try.

P.S. I really have to say thank you heaps to all of my brilliant cousins who made the feast possible. They got some great food recommendations. Love you guys! <3

---
Currency: $1 = IDR 9,200








Address:

PASTICCERIA PAPA

145 Ramsay St
Haberfield, NSW 2045

Phone: (02) 9798 6894

Web: Pasticceria Papa

Pasticceria Papa on Urbanspoon


Print Friendly and PDF

10 comments:

  1. i could eat that fluffy ricotta cheesecake everyday and not get sick of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. That's just amazing, isn't it? :)

      Delete
  2. I've never known what the bakery looked like. I am in awe! I've had their ricotta cheesecake too many times and hits it bang on the money every single time! Great photos irene x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for my next visit there. The cheesecake is heavenly, isn't it?
      Naawww thanks heaps, Tina! :D

      Delete
  3. best damn cheesecake ever!!! the nutella cheesecake is also awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nutella cheesecake sounds divine! To must-try list it goes :)
      Thanks for dropping by, Suze! :D

      Delete
  4. ohhhhh i love this place!! I have tried a number of their cakes and of course cannolis from parties and etc but still haven't visited the actual store. love love love their cannolis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most people are doing take-aways.
      Then I have to try the cannoli! But I still can't get over about how awesome the cheesecake is haha
      Thanks for dropping by, Shanshan! :D

      Delete
  5. yum! LOVE the ricotta cheesecake here.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment here !
It's nice to have people around :)