Monday, 23 September 2013

Zonut from Adriano Zumbo Pâtissier, Pyrmont - Sydney

I bet you already know about cronut.
zonut2
Apple crumble zonut from Adriano Zumbo Pâtissier

Don't lie to me, I know you do. Because really, even my mother knows about this.

It is one of the things that has been being raved about on my Twitter's timeline and other social media platforms alike. It is probably considered as the 'it' stuff at the moment, something that nobody would like to miss. It is probably the One Direction of pastry world right now, judging from the number of people getting through obstacles just to meet them personally. It is the hybrid of donut and croissant that people line up for hours at its original birth place, Dominique Ansel Bakery in NY.

After hearing and reading (and drooling) about the worldwide famous pastry, I came to a conclusion that this is real. The hype is gigantic, and the excitement over such a unique creation is contagious. So then I found myself in front of Adriano Zumbo Pâtissier at The Star, hoping to lay my hand on one his cronut, or zonut it is actually called.

They usually have two flavours of zonut that are changed weekly, but that day it was only the apple crumble zonuts resting neatly and graciously on metal trays. I was told that the zonuts are usually delivered to the Star's branch from the Rozelle one around 12-ish, but I went on a Wednesday morning around 11, just a couple of minutes after they opened their doors for business. Barely nobody lining and the zonuts were already there. I'm assuming that the queue mostly happens in weekends or night time.

The verdict?

Well, that is one delicate and complicated pastry.

zonut3
Apple crumble zonut - $5

It stands puffy and rigid, and I'm surprised about how heavy the whole ring is in terms of the mass.

The inside part is airy, flaky and buttery, with a slight tinge of greasiness. The layers, although not pictured effectively in this photo, are wonderfully separated, just like how a good croissant should be.

The outer part is the crunchy crust that provides you with delicious caramelized seam, and sweetened even more with granules of white sugar it is rolled in. A layer of creamy custard with distinct hint of apples and some crumbles amplify the glory.

I enjoyed every buttery and flaky bite I took, and the lip-smacking sticky sweetness that stayed for while. Having said that though, this is not something I wish to have more than one in an occasion, as it pushes my sugar tolerance level to the edge.

zonut-layers
Layers

Cronut has a short shelf life, so it is recommended to eat it right away and never refrigerate them as it will make them go soggy. Cronut 101 by Dominique Ansel Bakery has more information about how to treat this 'precious one' properly.

zonut-bts
Trying to cut the zonut neatly

The trip to the pâtissier won't be completed with one or two picks of the renowned Zumbarons, of course. I took two; salted butter popcorn and salted butter caramel on toast, which were put in a cute, small box.

zumbo-macs
Zumbarons: (top) salted butter popcorn & (bottom) salted butter caramel on toast - $2.5 ea

The salted butter popcorn tastes exactly like buttered popcorn, which is amazing. My preference goes to the salted butter caramel on toast, which has the perfect marriage between salty and sweet.

zumbo-macs-innards
Innards

So in a nut shell, do I like the cronut? Yes.

Will I buy it again? When I need a good pick-me-up and a sugar high, yes.

Do I hope for somebody to buy it for me? Yes.

zonut1
Fancy a zonut?

Now, tell me. Have you tried one of these? Do you like it?

And just some info, especially for those looking for it in Jakarta, Mandarin Oriental Cake Shop, Publico, and Union have put their takes of cronut on the menu list. Here are some blog posts that you may find useful.

---
Currency: $1 = IDR 10,500







Address:

ADRIANO ZUMBO PATISSIER

80 Pyrmont St
Pyrmont, NSW 2009

Phone: (02) 9810 7318

Web: Adriano Zumbo

Adriano Zumbo Pâtissier on Urbanspoon


Print Friendly and PDF

12 comments:

  1. I did try the strawberry and vanilla custard filled cronut. Whilst I thought it was a treat, I'm not sure if I could eat it often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! It's beautiful, but a bit too sweet for me :)

      Delete
  2. thank's for your information and your share in this artikel into your blog, i like this post and very nice
    you might also like obat herbal kanker payudara or you can let me see into obat asam lambung

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg!! i haven't tried any of cronut, zonut, crodos whatever it called :( and you.. ren.. convince me why i should get one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Cend!
      Bukannya udah bnyk di Jakarta? lebih banyak disana drpd di Syd malah!

      Delete
  4. ive heard mixed reviews abt it, some say its really greasy. maybe it depends on the flavour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it depends on the time you get it? I got mine early so it wasn't that greasy. But flavour may affect too :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, Hans! Glad you enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  6. I'd still totally try the zonut! It does look like something I would only eat once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! Yep, same thing for me too :)

      Delete

Feel free to comment here !
It's nice to have people around :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...