Wednesday, 18 December 2013

How to Poach Egg in Microwave

It’s totally possible, I’m telling you.
microwave-poached-egg-5
Microwave-poached egg on toast

Let’s start using our microwaves to the fullest, shall we?

This microwave-poaching is very useful for me, as sometimes I need a beautiful poached egg with runny yolk for my ramyeon, or on my toasted bread for breakfast. And yes, sometimes I just can’t be bothered to boil a pot of water and put the egg in.

It’s pretty easy, really. I got the recipe and instructions from The Kitchn and the site’s pretty good with step-by-step process. Here, I’ll recount them.

All you need is: 
  • 1 egg 
  • 1/3 cup of water 
  • ½ teaspoon of vinegar (optional, this is to help the egg coagulates easier) 
  • Microwave-safe bowl and plate 
  • Slotted spoon 

And what you have to do is: 
  1. Crack the egg in the bowl, pour the water carefully, and then add the vinegar.
  2. Put the bowl in the microwave and cover with the plate.
  3. Insert your seconds, and this really depends on the microwave’s power and setting (the original site recommends 60 seconds with 80% power). 
  4. Put back in the microwave for a few more seconds if you’re not happy with the result. 
  5. Take the bowl out from the microwave when it finishes cooking, and remove the egg by a slotted spoon. 
microwave-poached-egg-ingredients
Ingredients and utensils

microwave-poached-egg-before
Egg in its water + vinegar bath

Little did I know, it was more complicated than that. If you asked why, here are my answers:

1. Every microwave has different setting and power. So it’s better if you understand how your microwave works. The recipe asks for 60 seconds in the microwave but I found that my version of perfect poached egg happens at 55 seconds. It’s funny how a mere 5 seconds can make a difference.

I did do several experiments with the timing, so you can do it too if you still can’t reach the perfect level of poached egg that you like.

microwave-poached-egg-timing

microwave-poached-egg-2
80-seconds egg

microwave-poached-egg-3
60-seconds egg

microwave-poached-egg-4
55-seconds egg

2. The quality of the egg is probably influencing the result. I noticed that fresher egg yields better result as it doesn’t ‘break’ easily when the water is poured in. We aren’t making egg soup here, we want the egg and the water to be separated.

microwave-poached-egg-1

3. It can get messy. I had to clean the microwave a few times because the eggs exploded everywhere. I found that using a holed microwave cover doesn’t help with preventing the explosion either.

microwave-poached-egg-exploded
Exploded egg. And messy microwave.

4. Microwave method tends to cook the yolk faster than the white, so it’s best to take the egg out when the white is still a little wobbly (point taken from The Kitchn).

I think I’m still trying to get the hang of it, although it sounds really easy. Have you tried poaching egg in the microwave? Please share your tips and tricks so I can make mine perfect every time!

For the time being, here’s a really nicely described five ways of poaching egg in the microwave from WikiHow.

Happy experimenting!


Print Friendly and PDF

7 comments:

  1. OMG. Hello poached eggs everyday! Thanks for sharing!!!!
    xx gee @ andgeesaid.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  2. might actually give this a try. thanks for the tip about the exploding egg in the microwave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Annie. I hope you find it useful! :)

      Delete
  3. ahhhhhh enak nyaaa....mau coba...Irene blog mu kereeennnnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silakan :)
      Thanks, Gede! Terima kasih sudah mampir.

      Delete
  4. its very tricky. but worth the try... thanks

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment here !
It's nice to have people around :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...